Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Using Grub to boot Linux from Live USB, Having trouble configuring Grub to boot Sugar on a Stick (Fedora)
HenryDodson
post Jun 2 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,301

Hello,

I can't manage to figure out how to get Grub to boot Sugar on a Stick (Fedora) from a USB. I have been using 'Grub Customizer' in Ubuntu 12.04 (Edubunto). I have been messing with the config all afternoon, via 'Grub Customizer', and the best I can do is getting different errors. I feel like there is something about booting Fedora on a USB via Grub that I am not understanding. I have found instructions for booting Ubunto from a USB with grub but they didn't work for SoaS.

I am trying to setup a laptop for a child. I wanted to have the primary OS be edubunto, but also give them the option to use SoaS if they wanted. I also wanted them to have a SoaS flash drive when they visited family members, so they could use borrowed computers safely. Unfortunately the BIOS on the laptop I'm using resets the boot priority to its default (HDD->USB) whenever I unplug the flash drive, so just changing the boot priority wasn't an option. I thought Grub was a good alternative, if only I could get SoaS to load from it...

also, my BIOS does allow booting from USB drives, so I'm pretty sure Grub not being able to see the SoaS USB drive isn't the problem.

EDIT-

here is my latest failure:

set root='(hd2,0)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 007A-E647
linux syslinux/vmlinuz0 root=UUID=007A-E647
initrd syslinux/initrd0.img

Also tried hd(0,1) and hd(1,0) as root.
And tried putting vmlinuz0 and intrd0.img on the hd , in /boot/, and having Grub calling them from there.
Tried combinations of the above, not sure if I tried them all, though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:12 AM