Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running A Game Do I Do It....., What do I need?
post Jun 18 2003, 08:09 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 535

Hi all, smile.gif

I am hoping to run a small game server on the net.
I have the connection and the hardware but am wondering what flavour of linux I should use.

I get the impression its going to be between Mandrake and Redhat.

What your opinions?
I only want to run it as a game server, but would like a gui desktop as I am a novice....(slighty higher than a n00b).
It will be plugged into a netgear web safe router but I would also like a firewall installed locally.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 18 2003, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm running a game server, Urban Terror (Quake 3 engine), off of my linux box which is running a Debian 3.0 installation. The server is a standalone server though, I do not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked up. I run everything remotly (even though it is next to my main computer). I find using Debian allows me to keep the system up-to-date with the latest security updates with ease. Outside of that, I run a ssh server for remote access and Webmin for a graphical frontend to the system.

Other then a game server, the system acts as a router, mail server, web server, dns server, ftp server, etc.

Debian is available at

Corey Quilliam
(former) Administrator

Want to help out Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2018 - 01:39 PM