Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> White screen
IMessedMyself
post Jul 8 2012, 08:58 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,701

Hello,

I'm having a problem with a Gateway 450ROG laptop display (ATI M7 integrated video card). When I try to install a Linux distro, I'll get a white screen.

Not always, though. I installed OpenSUSE, no problem. I didn't get the white screen until after I installed the OS and rebooted the machine. I can boot a Live version of Ubuntu, but when I go to install it, I get the white screen.

I get a white screen as soon as Mint tries to install.

It doesn't just go white. It looks like it's slowly fading into white from the center and graduating out to the sides in a radial pattern. Once it's white, though, it stays white. It won't go back.

I've searched on several forums, but have been unable to find a solution to my problem.

I'm fairly certain it is hardware related, since I've had multiple Linux distros do this, as described above.

The only one that this problem doesn't pop up is Puppy, but I didn't really care for that distro.

I've successfully installed WIndows XP on the laptop and am tempted to go back, but I'd rather have a Linux distro for its speed and ability to be somewhat easily customized.

I've tried hooking up a monitor to the laptop and it will show me what's going on (except when I'm booting up Mint 13).

I've found a partial solution using OpenSUSE 11.4 (I downloaded it a while ago and decided to give it another shot). I'm sure it would work with other distros, but I found the "solution" via serendipity.

When I boot up OpenSUSE, I get the white screen on the laptop, but on the separate monitor I can see the OpenSUSE desktop.

I then turn off the laptop monitor by going to Monitors in the Control Center, checking off "Same image on all monitors," then selecting the laptop screen and hitting the off radio button.

I then check "Same image on all monitors" and go back to mirror images and when my laptop screen comes back on, it's fine.

Could this be a driver issue and if it is, how do I prevent getting a white screen during an installation?

TIA to anybody who read this and an extra TIA for anyone that can help me.

Messy

Update: When I suspend the laptop and bring it back up, it goes to white screen and I have to do the monitor-switching thing to get it to display right.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
IMessedMyself
post May 7 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,701

Still having the issue. I now have SparkyLinux installed on my laptop.

This distro was a little different. I can't rightly remember which version I installed, but after installation, in which I still had to use a separate monitor, and subesequent boot-up, the screen would go white, but then the screen fixed itself after I logged in.

During a system update, I didn't have my laptop plugged in and it ran out of juice and I had to reinstall the distro, but now the screen just stays white until I go into Menu->Preferences->Monitor Settings->[Advanced] and turn the laptop monitor off, then back on again. After that, it's fine.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem.

While looking for a solution (after I posted here), I came upon my post above and was excited because it described the exact problem I was having. I was then duly disappointed when I realized it was my own post.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 09:44 PM