Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The DNS Guys

25 Nameservers Worldwide

Host Monitoring & Auto Rollback

Smart Relay, SASL

OpenID Servers & XMPP

TSIG & Secondary DNS

Amazon Route53 GUI

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing Dependency: trying to instal VLC on Fedora 8, system-release >= 14 is needed by package rpmfusio
mikeatinto
post Mar 8 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,482

hi all,
My Acer Aspire One (c2008) runs Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.7.E and Fedora 8 (Werewolf).
One final "tweak" I would really like to do is to instal VLC video player as the standard installation Mplayer won't play the .MOV video files recorded on my camera.
However, having downloaded the file from the VLC website; rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm, when trying to instal, I get an error message regarding resolving dependencies; "Missing Dependency: system-release >= 14 is needed by package rpmfusion-free-release".
I have done quite a bit of browsing of the net and forums trying to resolve this myself but have failed dismally so, can anyone offer any help or advice or point me in the right direction,please?
with thanks
Mike
PS - When I google rpmfusion-free-release-14-2.noarch, I find a site hany.sk/~hany from which I am able to download rpmfusion-free-release-14-2.src.rpm but when trying to install this, I get error message "cannot install source packages"; should I give in gracefully?
PPS - I decided to google "rpm of distribution fedora 8" which yielded this website "http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/Fedora_8.html".
Scrolling down the list to VLC there are 4 entries with the description "Multi-platform MPEG, DVD, and DivX player" but I'm not sure which (if any) of these might be what I'm looking for.....
Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 06:28 AM