Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mount issues
9a3eedi
post Sep 13 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,215

Hi. I'm relatively new to linux. And here's an issue I've had since I've started learning about linux and using it.

Whenever I insert a flash disk or perhaps an SD card into my computer (formatted in vfat), it either automatically mounts it into a folder in /media or it just doesn't mount it. If it does mount it, then usually I don't get any issues (usually). But sometimes I just have to mount it the manual way.

So I open up terminal. Check fdisk -l for the device's "address".. and type in (as root):

CODE
mount /dev/sdc1 /media/flash_usb

so it mounts it. pretty normal. However, I don't use root.. I use my own username. So if as a non-root user I would like to access my flash disk and read from it it usually allows me to. But if I would like to make a new file, copy something to, or modify a file, it just doesn't allow me. It only allows root to do so.

I tried to change the access permissions through the gui found in both GNOME and KDE, but everytime I check the boxes for allowing any user to write, it automatically unchecks itself. I also tried to use chmod 777 in the terminal, but it doesn't do anything.

My question is. How can I mount something like a flash disk so that any normal user can read, write, and execute things from normally?

I'm predicting that I have to do something with the fstab or the mtab, but I don't know what exactly I should do.. so I shouldn't go off and do something I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

My Distro: SuSe Linux 10.1 on x86-_64
Linux kernel 2.6.16.13-4

Note: I've realized that if I boot linux with the flash disks inserted before switching on the PC, everything goes without any problems. But it is seriously a pain to restart everytime I plug in a new device .___.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 07:12 PM